May 5, 2011

Chicken in Wine Sauce

The name of this dish sounds so decadent, doesn't it? It sounds fancy! But this is really one of the quickest and easiest things I like to make. Lately this is one of my favorite go-to meals, especially if I'm short on time and hungry right now.

I use deboned chicken for this. I pound the pieces of chicken first to make them very tender and evenly flat. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper, then dredge them in flour. I brown the chicken fillets on both sides but then remove them from the pan before they are completely cooked. Add a bit of butter and some flour to the pan, push that roux around a little bit. Deglaze the pan with wine. Add some chicken broth, chopped onion, minced garlic, and seasonings. Put the chicken back in and let it simmer... done!I like to season this with thyme.

I cut sprigs of thyme off the plant when the thyme starts to flower. I tie the sprigs together and then hang them upside down inside a paper sack. I do most herbs this way... the contraption looks silly but the sack collects any leaves that fall off the herbs while they are drying. I also think the bag prevents dust from getting on the herbs. Then I gently pull the dried leaves off the stems and store them in a little jar.I wish I had more thyme!

Please try this fast and tasty chicken some day when you're short on "time!"CHICKEN IN WINE SAUCE

2-3 pounds deboned chicken
salt and pepper
flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup of a dry white wine
1 pint chicken broth
1 cup chopped onion
few cloves garlic, minced
salt, pepper, dried thyme, to taste

Pound chicken with a mallet to tenderize it and make it evenly flat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour. Brown pieces of chicken on both sides in olive oil, over medium high heat, then remove chicken and set aside before chicken is completely cooked. Reduce stove to a lower heat. Add butter and flour to pan. Push butter and flour around to make a nice brown roux. Deglaze pan with wine. Add chicken broth. Whisk until well combined. Add onion and garlic. Add salt, pepper, and thyme, to taste. (I use home canned chicken broth that has no salt... you may not want to add salt if using store bought chicken broth.) Return chicken to skillet and simmer over low heat until chicken is cooked. Sometimes I shred a bit of hard cheese over the top of this when serving. If parsley is growing in the garden chop some and sprinkle over top.

No comments: