March 3, 2012

A Box of Linens

I've always heard that "bad things come in threes" and now I believe it as my whole world was turned upside down recently with one bad thing, and then another, and then another. Although I've not read the book or seen the movie, Lemony Snicket's title, "A Series of Unfortunate Events" kept repeating in my mind.

But now I'm starting to find my way back to right side up. Thank you, all of you, for your patience during my dry spell. I'm glad to finally be blogging again!

One of the "bad things" gave me the opportunity to spend time at my mothers house where I rummaged through her closets and cupboards to look for interesting things.I found this box from Hardy Herpolsheimers's, a beloved old Michigan department store that no longer exists. But I'm not convinced that the box has anything to do with the items that were tucked inside.Finding something like this is like winning the lottery when you like to take pictures of food! You might have thought I was watching fireworks while I looked at each linen...Ooooh!Ahhhh!Wheeee!Wait... what? This one is a bit of mystery. I'm not sure why it's folded and sewed in the middle.Here it is from the back. Does anyone have any ideas why this may have happened?These yellow napkins look vaguely familiar to me. I think there may be a tablecloth like this tucked away somewhere else.Each of the linens was lovely, but I discovered the greatest treasure at the bottom of the box...... a hand embroidered linen...... and a note written by my grandmother on a scrap cut from an envelope. In 1957 my grandmother wrote to my mother:

"This little doily - I brought over from Norway. It must be 75 yrs. old. The little 10¢ price is 10 örre in Norway. We thought we were rich, if we ever had 10 örre, when we were kids in Norway."

My grandmother moved to America when she was nine years old. Regardless of having limited space for her personal belongings this embroidery found its way into her trunk. I'm not certain how the 10¢ price sticker remained on this piece from circa 1913 to 1957. There is a discolored mark on the embroidery where I assume the tape must have once been. (I'm going to use this as a reminder to use acid free materials with items that I want to preserve.) But even worn and discolored, it's a lovely little piece of family history.And "Eat, drink, and be merry" has now found a new home with me.

4 comments:

Candy C. said...

Goodness, I actually got teary eyed looking at the note your grandmother wrote to your mom! :)
Could the towel have been sewn to make it fit as a runner under something?
When I was a kid and we went to the 4th of July fireworks, my dad always went Ooooh, ahhhh in a deadpan kind of voice! LOL!!
What a neat box of old linens and I look forward to seeing them in your food photos soon!

homegrown countrygirl said...

Candy C. ~ That's my guess about the sewn towel, too, but it makes me wonder about it, you know? I enjoyed your description of your dad watching fireworks... funny! Thanks for all of your nice comments, Candy.

MARARIA said...

what a lovely discovery dear ! I have some hand made tablecloth and sheets embroided by my grandma and mother and yeah they are very precious treasure.
Love Mararia

homegrown countrygirl said...

Mararia ~ Oh my goodness, what special treasures!