February 29, 2012

It Only Happens Once Every Four Years...

... and I'm not talking about leap day.Today was absolutely gorgeous!

It wasn't the kind of day you would expect to find in February around here. It was unique. This kind of day doesn't happen very often.Normally this time of year Mother Nature shows us grey skies and freezing mud spotted with splashes of white where snow has drifted into piles that don't want to melt. Normally I'm sloshing around in freezing slop and I'm in a constant battle to keep that muddy slop from invading my house. Normally I'm washing pants, coats, mittens, scarves, and even hats, all splattered with that same darn cold muddy slop.

But this year is different. This year has been mild. The sun came out today and I took my coat off to feel the warm breeze it brought. It actually smelled like spring today.And even more impressive, I cleaned the garden well enough last fall... today it looked almost tidy in its emptiness! It was really lovely today, this last day of February.

Even the hens seemed to know that today was special.

3 comments:

Candy C. said...

Wow, it does look like a spring day there and your garden looks like it is ready for planting! I still have a little clean-up left to do from last year in the beds that aren't planted with winter veggies.

Anonymous said...

your post makes us all feel warm inside. just to get our hands back in the earth again will warm us. it just feels good to know it's right around the corner. another planting seasons at hand.

Thanks Countrygirl

homegrown countrygirl said...

Thanks, both of you, so much...! I enjoyed the nice weather here so much, it was a glimpse of spring! But I was shocked to hear the news today about the dangerous weather that passed through Missouri, Illinois and Tennesee last night. May God be with all of those folks...