April 8, 2012

The Parkinson Tulip

Parkinson's disease is named after James Parkinson, an English apothecary surgeon who originally identified the condition in 1812.

The Parkinson Tulip was developed by a dutch horticulturist, J.W.S. van der Wereld. He named it after James Parkinson in 1982 and it has since become a symbol for Parkinson's Disease.Last year I searched far and wide for a way to purchase some Parkinson Tulip bulbs.I finally found them through The Maine Parkinson Society. I ordered several bags of them and eagerly planted them when they arrived in the fall.This spring I was delighted when every single one of them bloomed!

April is Parkinson's Awareness Month.Here is a printable order form from the Maine Parkinson Society in case you would like to plant some of these unique and lovely tulips yourself:
Maine Parkinson Society Parkinson Tulip Order Form

2 comments:

Candy C. said...

How wonderful that they ALL bloomed!! I have been wanting some tulip bulbs and besides being lovely flowers, these bulbs would help support a worthy cause! Thanks for the link! :)

homegrown countrygirl said...

Candy C ~ I really was impressed that every single tulip bloomed! And I didn't do anything but dig the little holes and drop them in the ground!