November 8, 2011

Whipped Rutabaga and Potato

Rutabagas and turnips are related to each other and can pretty much be used interchangeably, so this recipe could just as easily be called "Whipped Turnip and Potato."Rutabagas and turnips are quite easy to grow. Both will keep for a few weeks in the refrigerator (and even longer in a root cellar). Both are good sources of fiber. And they both taste like autumn to me.

But I like rutabagas better.I think I just like the word. "Rutabaga." It's such a fun word to say out loud.

Rutabagas (and turnips) take a little longer to cook than potatoes. So to make Whipped Rutabaga and Potato I boil the chopped rutabaga for a little while first, and then add the chopped potatoes.I like the earthy autumn flavor that rutabaga contributes, and I like how whipping rutabaga with potato seems to cut the starchiness of the potato.

Adjust these ingredients to suit your own taste, but here is how I like to make this...WHIPPED RUTABAGA AND POTATO

2 cups of peeled, roughly chopped rutabaga
6 cups of peeled, roughly chopped potatoes
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup milk, cream, or evaporated milk
2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
salt, pepper, and white pepper, to taste

Put chopped rutabaga in a large pot, cover generously with salted water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add chopped potatoes (and more salted water if necessary) and simmer another 15-20 minutes, until rutabaga and potato pieces are fork tender. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet, add minced garlic, and cook for just a few minutes until garlic begins to soften, then remove from heat. Drain water from rutabaga and potato pieces. Add milk and melted butter with garlic to rutabaga and potatoes. Whip well with an electric hand mixer until mixture is very smooth. Season with salt, pepper, and white pepper, to taste.

4 comments:

MARARIA said...

delicious dish... and nice mix ... rutabaga and potato I must try it, In spanish Rutabaga means Nabo

homegrown countrygirl said...

MARARIA ~ "Nabo..." that's just as fun of a word as "rutabaga!"

Candy C. said...

I love making mashed potatoes and turnips, called Tatties and Neeps in Scotland. I have actually never had a rutabaga! I planted some seeds a few months ago and they germinated nicely but something ate them, I think it was the birds! :( I have re-seeded and am hoping for the best as my mother-in-law told me how good rutabagas are!

homegrown countrygirl said...

Candy C. ~ I think you will like your rutabagas. I'm still jealous of your long growing season!