September 28, 2011

Danish Tomatoes

I've heard that men think about sex seven times a minute.I don't believe it. I don't think it's even possible. I think about food a lot but even I don't think about food seven times a minute.My thoughts about food take many forms. Of course I think about eating food. And I also think about growing food and taking pictures of food and writing about food. But mostly I think about preparing food.

I can curl up with a recipe book as if it were a novel.

Knowing this, you would expect me to have an overload of cookbooks, but I don't. I make an effort not to accumulate too many of them.

But I made an exception the other day when I found this cookbook for one dollar at a charity book sale. I couldn't resist when I opened it up and felt its smooth glossy pages.It was published in 1972 by Southern Living magazine. The preface states that this cookbook is a compilation of family recipes for garden vegetables "...created and perfected by homemakers from Maryland to Texas" and "passed down through generations."

The recipes are wonderfully simple and it has colorful retro photographs.Each recipe gives credit to the homemaker who contributed it.When I got home and randomly opened the book I was drawn to the first recipe I saw, Danish Tomatoes, contributed by Rosemary Martine of Chattahoochee, Florida.

I immediately set about making her recipe.One of the ingredients is "buttered croutons." I sauteed some pieces of cut bread with butter in a skillet to make these.

Then I assembled and cooked this simple recipe exactly as she directed and then I ate some of it. (Okay, I ate a lot of it.)Oh my goodness!

Thank you, Rosemary Martine, Chattahoochee, Florida, for your delightful and delicious recipe!

DANISH TOMATOES
(From The Vegetables Cookbook, Southern Living Cookbook Library, 1972, recipe contributed by Rosemary Martine, Chattahoochee, Florida)

Fresh tomatoes (I peeled mine)
Sugar to taste
Salt to taste
Buttered croutons
Crumbled bleu cheese

Cut the tops off tomatoes and cut almost through in wedges. Spread to resemble flowers. Sprinkle with sugar and salt and place in a shallow pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. Add the croutons and cheese. Bake until the cheese bubbles.

3 comments:

Candy C. said...

Yeah, I can curl up with a cookbook too! LOL!!
What an incredibly simple recipe, it sounds delicious! :)

MARARIA said...

wuawwwww, delicious but... sugar on the tomatoes, I only add sugar when I make tomatoe sauce, I must try this Danish tomatoes, and the blue cheese touch gives a nice taste. I like it!

thanks homegrown countrygirl for visiting my blog and leaving comments.

homegrown countrygirl said...

Candy C ~ I love the charm of a simple recipe like this!

MARARIA ~ I used just a pinch of sugar (and just a pinch of the salt, too). My mother will add tiny pinch of sugar to vegetable dishes sometimes (so I do it sometimes, too), and I think it makes a difference. (I'm so glad I figured out how to get the computer to translate your blog so that I can read it now!)