August 26, 2012

Wink at the Moon

I've always wanted to live deep within a forest. It sounds cozy to me. I often think about what it would be like, being tucked away, amongst the towering trees. My imaginary woods would smell clean, yet musty, like mulch, and pine. There would be a long winding dirt lane leading to my cabin. (Yes, of course it would be a cabin.) Animals would pass close by, but the scarier ones, like snakes, and mother bears, would always keep an appropriate distance. I would never have to go very far for firewood, and I would not need air conditioning in the summer because the trees would keep me in the shade.

But every time I imagine this lovely forest, with all its amenities, I realize that I would miss being able to see for a long distance in every direction.

I love being able to see for a long distance in every direction! When there is a beautiful sky, it's a great big giant beautiful sky. I get to watch the sun rise (and set) for a long time in that great big beautiful sky. I like it that sometimes, when the weather is unsettled, I can see a different looking sky in every direction. (And I'm thankful that I can see the bad weather approaching for a long time before it actually gets here.) And I love it that on clear nights I can see the moon no matter where it is in the sky. At night, when there is darkness all around me, it is comforting to look up at that familiar old far away moon in sky.

Neil Armstrong grew up in Wapakoneta, Ohio, which is not very far from here. I wonder what he thought about, as a boy in Wapakoneta, when he looked up at the moon. And I wonder what he thought about it for all of these years since he stepped onto it's surface and uttered those famous words.

In their announcement of his death, Neil Armstrong's family has asked us to wink at the moon for him. They wrote: “For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.”

You can read their full official statement here.

So tonight, when I look up at that familiar old far away moon, I will wink to it for Neil Armstrong.


2 comments:

Candy C. said...

What a lovely post to honor one of our American heroes! Thank you!
I like visiting the forest but after a day or so, I miss my wide open spaces and lots and lots of sky! :)

homegrown countrygirl said...

Hi Candy! Thank you!!!